The Social Ministry Board works to meet the needs in the congregational family, the local community and the church at large. The following is a sampling of service and outreach ministries at St. John's:
- Backpack Weekend Food Program: Food is provided to children who may not have food for the weekend who are on reduced lunches through the school system. The bag of food is packed and taken to the school for delivery on Fridays so the student will have nutritional food for the weekend. This program provided food bags for 735 students this year in 33 different Gaston County Schools.
- The Parish Pantry: Non Perishable Food is offered to families in need.
- Table of Grace: Table of Grace takes us to different places during the year. We may visit communities and serve them a meal or offer an meal at our church. We also take meals to our shut ins or someone who is going through a difficult time. Everyone is always welcome to share a meal with us.
- God's Work Our Hands Outreach is held the first Thursday of each month . Our Parish Food Pantry and Saints Clothes Closet is open from 9 am til 2 pm.
- Relay for Life: St. John's Team participates in the Cherryville Relay for Life.
- The Shelter of Gaston County: St. John's provide a meal at The Shelter of Gaston County for Battered Women and children on the first Sunday of each month.
- Community School Supply Drive: We collect school supplies for our community.
- Meals on Wheels: Multiple parishioners volunteer for monthly food deliveries to local homes.
- Cherryville Area Ministries (CAM): We work with the area assistance agency to help meet needs of local residents.